May 5, 2007

My 'Handyman'

Steve and I will be married two years this July 1st. We had an 'interesting' start, to say the least. But, things have settled down, and I must say, I'm probably the happiest I've been in a very long time. I won't get all sappy or anything, but suffice it to say that, this time, it ends with a coffin.

We really enjoy the simple things with each other. One of our favorite pastimes, is just sitting around and chatting. We've gone complete weekends without the kids with never leaving the house and never turning on the tv. Those have turned out to be some of the best weekends we've had.

We enjoy DIY. Our home is a wonderful palette to exercise our DIY ambitions. What I'm learning, to my pleasant surprise, is that Steve will actually get busy and *do* the things we talk about. Picture it... you're sitting there, with your significant other, or roommate, or whomever the person is that you cohabitate with, talking about and envisioning all the things you'd like to do to improve your dwelling. Now, I don't know about you, but my past experiences have been that nothing much past the 'talk' stage actually gets done. Not the case now. Don't get me wrong, we do our fair share of dreaming... mark my word, this house will *never* get an addition and the garage will never become a den. But, the improvements we've talked about that are actually attainable have been done.

It's mostly down to him. I lack the motivation and knowledge to actually get anything done on my own (I help plenty, tho... even Steve would attest to that). I always ask him how he knows so much stuff about 'stuff'.

His latest endeavor has been to improve the outside areas of our home, as summer is approaching and we will soon be spending much more time outdoors. I won't run down the list of projects completed (suffice it to say it's decent) or projects in the works (suffice it to say it's decent, as well) or projects we'll get to when we have the money (suffice it to say that this one is probably the longest!). He's good. Damn (sorry, Mom) good. Hopefully, he can turn it into a business, but until then, I'm definitely enjoying his 'practice' pieces...






No comments: