June 6, 2007

poor bunny



The day of Mic's party, Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, this little tattered pink bunny appeared in our backyard. Nobody would claim it and nobody had any idea where it came from.

Poor thing is filthy, but has certainly been 'well loved'. It is missing one entire ear completely, and the other one looks like it's just barely there, torn and missing the tip.

I decided to 'adopt' said bunny, although I haven't named it, yet. We haven't even decided if it's a 'he' bunny or a 'she' bunny. We lean toward a 'she' since it's pink, but we are a tolerant household and accepting of all kinds around here.

Bunny lives on our patio. Not really sure it has a purpose, but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. I like to believe it has brought great comfort to whomever it used to belong to and would hate to see such a dedicated animal meets it's demise at the bottom of a trash can.

We check on the bunny from time to time, just to make sure it hasn't found a home elsewhere, and so far, it hasn't wandered. We include it in family pictures and picnics, but haven't taken it for a swim just yet. We'll have to find a new home for it should we decide to adopt one of the puppies set to visit in the next couple of days. I just don't think it could stand to loose another appendage.

So, here I am, thinking I've done a good thing. I've saved this bunny from the jaws of death and destruction, honestly thinking I've helped it in some small way. When I perched it on top of the half-fence that Steve built and turned around to snap a picture, this is what happened... Despite our shouting, "Don't do it, Bunny! Don't do it!"



It jumped. Guess the bottom of the trash can looked better than a life at our house...

No comments: