June 5, 2007

I miss them

I often post about my three children. Lest anyone forget, I do have two more. I only actually gave birth to three of them, but in all, I have five.

Tom and Joe are my step-sons. They live in England with their Mum. Fortunately, we get to talk with them very frequently on the phone. We don't get to see them anywhere near what we would like. Unfortunately, that's just the way it has to be, for now.

We make the most of those phone calls... laughing, talking, sometimes just sitting in silence. I love to hear their accounts of the going-ons and the day-to-day stuff they are involved in.

They are always on my mind... if not just because I'm thinking of them, but because I know how incredibly difficult this is on their Dad. His pain is my pain, and sometimes, it just gets to be a little much. They don't see it, they don't need to. They know he misses them, terribly. I know he misses them. I miss them. It's hard for all of us.

The three who live with us know they are their brothers. Not a day goes by when they aren't talked about, thought about, included. This is their home, too. There is so much love here for them and they know that.

Sometimes, distance can be a real nuisance. But, we have no choice but to keep going. We make the most of every single second they are with us and learn to appreciate those talks just a little bit more.

I love shopping and seeing something they might like. Whether it be an OU folder for school or a guitar poster for Joe or OU (sense a 'theme' here?) golf club covers for Tom. It's nice, sending them a little piece of America... a little piece of 'home'.

I miss Tom putting The Diva to bed... so does she. I miss Joe tossing the football around with Mic. I miss Mac snuggled up next to her big brothers, sharing the "Chicken Run" she got for her birthday.

I miss them.

No comments: